My Fulbright Experience
George Syrimis, Alumnus of Cyprus America Scholarship Program
Did you know?
In the fields of Engineering, Computer Science and Math: 82% of PhD candidates and 55% of master’s candidates are funded directly from U.S. universities.
Attend a free Information Session
Twice a month, the Commission offers a free, one and a half hour information session for students interested in studying in the United States. Sessions are now also offered online. Read more...
Did you know?
The U.S. is home to most of the world's top universities.
The Traditional Fulbright program offers scholarships for Cypriot students wanting to pursue a Master’s Degree in the United States. The Fulbright competition is open for Master’s degrees in all fields except Medical Fields (medicine, dentistry, veterinary and nursing). Grants are for study at accredited U.S. universities beginning in the 2015-2016 academic year.
LENGTH OF AWARD/PROGRAM BENEFITS
A Master’s degree in the United States usually takes two years. The scholarship is for a maximum amount of $25,000 each year, for a maximum total of $50,000. If the length of the program is less than two years, the scholarship award will be reduced accordingly. Scholarship grantees are expected to apply for financial assistance directly from the U.S. institutions, in addition to receiving the Fulbright scholarship.
Travel costs are not included in the grants.
- Applicants selected must have a Cypriot passport (they will have to travel to the U.S. with a Cypriot passport).
- Must not be citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) of the United States.
- Must have one parent who was born in Cyprus.
- Must have at least 3 years of secondary (lyceum) education in Cyprus.
- Not be over 45 years of age on September 1, 2015.
- Fulfill compulsory military obligation (males) before beginning their studies, if required by the Government, or present valid exemption certificates.
- All applicants must have a minimum of 3.5/4, 8/10 or 2:1 on their undergraduate transcripts, or be ranked in the top 5% of their department.
- All applicants must complete their Bachelor’s degree by the summer of 2015.
1) TOEFL or IELTS
TOEFL (minimum score 100) or IELTS (minimum score 7)
- IELTS will be accepted in lieu of the TOEFL.
- Please be aware that some universities in the U.S. may not accept the IELTS; students submitting IELTS scores may also have to take the TOEFL exam if required by the university to which they are applying.
- TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for 2 years.
2) GMAT or GRE
GRE (minimum V + Q total= 300) or GMAT (minimum score 600)
- The GMAT is required for MBA and other business-related fields; the GRE test is required for all other fields.
- GMAT and GRE scores are valid for 5 years.
All test scores must be valid on August 1, 2014.
- TOEFL or IELTS
- GRE or GMAT
- Students must give access to the Fulbright Coordinator to view and print out the test scores from the official testing website once the official scores are available but at the latest by 2 pm on Friday August 15, 2014. If test scores are not received by Friday August 15, 2014, the application will be returned without further consideration.
- The Commission will also accept online score reports.
- Transcripts for all years at college/university
- High school leaving certificate
- Two official recommendation letters, written in English, from professors at the applicant’s undergraduate institution. All recommendation letters must be printed on official stationery with a university/college stamp. Recommendation letters should be presented to the Fulbright Coordinator in a sealed envelope with a signature across the seal.
- Applicants who have acquired relevant work experience, may, if they wish, provide a third recommendation letter from their employer (eg. MBA applicants.)
- An official letter from the applicant’s undergraduate institution stating the applicant’s rank in their graduating or current class. If the institution does not provide rankings, applicants must submit an official letter from the institution verifying this.
- Greek Cypriots: 190-A form from the Income Tax Office for year 2013 (in Euro).
- Turkish Cypriots: Income Tax form for year 2013 (in Euro).
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- First priority: Applicants who are currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree or have completed a bachelor’s degree in a country other than the U.S.
- Second priority: Applicants who have previously studied in the U.S. with their own funding(as long as they are not currently working/residing in the U.S).
- Third priority: Applicants who have previously studied in the U.S. under U.S. government funding and are subject to the J-1 visa regulations.
- CASP alumni, who fall under this category, must wait for 4 years after the completion of their Bachelor’s degree before they can apply for a Fulbright grant.
Take required standardized tests
Before application deadline
Mid-May to August 1, 2014
Interview & nomination
Early to mid-September 2014
Scholarship competition results announced
Early October 2014
August / September 2015
- Those who hold or will hold a Master’s degree or any other equivalent graduate degree by the time they begin their studies in the U.S. (with the exception of civil servants who may apply for a 2nd master’s degree).
- Are currently pursuing a degree in the U.S.
- Are currently working/residing in the U.S.
GOVERNMENT AND SEMI-GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES
- Applications from civil servants, who have been appointed either by the Public Service Commission or the Educational Service Commission, must bear the written consent of their Permanent Secretary.
- Candidates from semi-government organizations are also required to have their applications signed by their General Manager.
PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION OF DETAILS
Please submit the below Summary Sheet and Application and all supporting documents by 2:00 pm, Friday, August 1, 2014
Please be advised that these awards are subject to Cyprus Fulbright Commission Board approval and availability of funds. Any of the above is subject to change.
Last update: May, 2014
Program Consultant / Counselor
J.W. Fulbright Center, Marcos Drakou Street (Next to the Ledra Palace Hotel), 1102 Nicosia
Telephone: +357 22669757
Fax: +357 22669151